All Agricultural operations (regardless of size) that involve earth disturbance (plowing and tilling, including No-till) over 5000 square feet, and/or have an animal-heavy use area (i.e barnyards, feedlots, loafing areas, exercise losts, etc.), and/or the land application of manure (be that mechanically or by the animals themselves) are required to follow certain regulatory requirements.

It is also important to understand that even if someone else farms your land, as the landowner, you are ultimately responsible for what happens on your land.

Compliance with these requirements is important, as more than 5,484 miles of Pennsylvania waterways are impaired because of agricultural impacts. Agriculture is listed as the most significant source of pollution from Pennsylvania to the Chesapeake Bay. Several streams in Fulton County have been identified by DEP as being “ag-impaired.”

Your agricultural operation may need an Erosion and Sediment Control plan (which may be part of a Conservation Plan) and a Manure Management Plan

Reducing soil erosion and better utilization of your manure are not only good for our local streams and the Chesapeake Bay, but offer opportunities to save you money and improve the production of your farm. District staff are available to answer your questions or concerns regarding these regulatory programs, provide informational materials on the requirements, and provide options for technical and financial assistance that is available to support Fulton County farmers as they address environmental concerns.

Anyone interested in information about or assistance with developing an Agricultural Erosion & Sediment Control Plan and/or a Manure Management Plan is encouraged to contact the Conservation District.

For more information on the regulatory requirements for agricultural operations, please contact Conservation District Ag Specialist, Rodney Peck, at 717-325-6089 or

Do I need a permit? NPDES Construction Permitting Requirements for Agriculture
What will be discussed during the required site visit of my operation? Farm Site Visit Form
Agricultural Services Application & Fee Schedule